Last Updated: May, 2013.
Sources of Information
We collect personal information about you from the following sources:
- Information we receive from you, your broker-dealer, investment advisor or financial representative;
- Information we receive from your inquiries by mail, e-mail, telephone, or through the Websites or any affiliated website;
- Information we collect on our Websites through the use of “cookies”. For example, we may identify the pages on our Websites that your browser requests or visits.
The type of data we collect may include your name, address, email address, phone number, social insurance number, employment information, assets, income, tax information, transaction history, account balance, payment history, investment choices and objectives, marital status, family relationships and other personal information that you may provide.
What we do with the information we gather
We may use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide you with products and services and to effect transactions that you request or authorize by processing and fulfilling your request;
- to make the necessary reports for tax purposes, record keeping and to meet our reporting obligations;
- to contact you for the purposes of confirming or processing your request and/or responding to your inquiries; and
- to improve our products and services.
We do not disclose any personal information about our customers or former customers to anyone, except as permitted by law. In addition to using this information to verify your identity, and as permitted by law, we may use or disclose your personal information to relevant third parties for the following reasons:
- In order to provide you with products and services and to effect transactions that you request or authorize;
- if you direct us to do so, if we are compelled by law to do so, or in other legally limited circumstances (for example to protect your account from fraud); and
- to alert you to our other financial products and services, or to provide administrative services, we may share your personal information with First Trust affiliates;
In the event we sell our business or assets, or enter into such other change of ownership or other business transition, such as a merger, amalgamation or acquisition, we may disclose your personal information to a purchaser.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the Websites.
Confidentiality and Security
With regard to our internal security procedures, First Trust restricts access to your personal information to those First Trust employees who need to know that information to provide products or services to you. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your personal information.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information. If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other than as set out above, we will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you at any time. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to us at: FT Portfolios Canada Co., 40 King Street West, Suite 5102, Scotia Plaza, Box 312, Toronto, ON M5H 3Y2
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible at the above address. We will correct any information found to be incorrect.